Dual Screen mode

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I would like to make passive stereoscopic large scale projection by using dual projectors with tracker of Mouse or Leap Motion.
Dual screen mode at Device/Layout is grey out however at present. Informing of the condition how to activate this device mode will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Katsuhiko Inoue
Coordinator
Dec 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Hello Katsuhiko,

The dual screen option is supposed to be available when windows detect more than one monitor. You will have to be in extended desktop mode (not mirror) or else windows will detect only one monitor. Also, you may have to restart the vrplayer if a monitor is plugged during the application is running. I tested this morning on my tv to make sure I did not break this feature in the 0.5 version release and it was working fine. If you have any trouble please let me know.

Merry christmas!

-Stephane
Dec 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Hi Stephane

I could also confirm the dual screen mode works fine today. However I found some peculiar behavior that the VR Player menu switch to the secondary monitor. I will try to experiment large scale 3D passive projection with dual projectors later.

The other thing I found in the large screen display is more distortion of sample pattern with sphere projection at the area nearer to the nadir and zenith, which is same as for the real 360x180 panoramas. Informing of how to reduce such distortion at high magnification will be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas.

Katsuhiko
Coordinator
Jan 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Hi Katsuhiko,

Unfortunately, I don't know how you could reduce the distortion with the current implementation but I am aware there is a flaw in the distortion rendering.
With the oculus rift, it's hardly noticeable but on TVs with panoramic aspect ratios, it will definitely put that in evidence.
In a future release, I am planning to use a different distortion for each eye to fix the problem but this will involved major changes in the back end so I don't know when it will be ready.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Best regards,

-Stephane
Jan 4, 2014 at 1:36 AM
Hi Stephane

Thank you for your kind response about distortion.
I look forward to the improvement in the future.
As for the 3D panorama photos I could publish by using HTML5 web technology.
http://v-galleries.com/images/140101-Yuduruha/rift.html
http://v-galleries.com/images/140101-Yuduruha/sbs3d.html

I look forward to the playlist function of VR Player near future.

Best regards,
Katsuhiko Inoue