fisheye projection

Aug 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Greetings, just came across VR Player, and it looks great! Do have a question though. What is the best way to play 180 degree circular fisheye videos? I keep getting a strange pinch / warp at the front and back of my videos.

Base fisheye image
fisheye image

I used the video from this app - http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22255

In the native app the fisheye video looks great, but if played the video alone in VR Player I get a strange pinching. I have VR Player set to Dome Projection

This is with Effects Unwrap Fisheye
warping / pinching at the "spring line" at the front and back of image

This is with Effects None
TEXT

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Matt
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Hi Matt,

I am sorry but currently, circular fisheye format is not supported.
I will have to create a new type of projection or modify the dome projection to support multiple UV mapping configurations.
Anyhow, I added this feature to my backlog and I will notify you when it will be implemented.

Regards,

-Stephane
Aug 21, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply Stephane!

This is a feature that will be widely used by planetarium / fulldome producers.

I would gladly pay for this feature to be bumped up on your list, as it is the format that I work in most of the time.

Thanks for making such a valuable tool.

Cheers

Matt
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2013 at 5:02 AM
Hi mattmascheri,

I will contact you in private massage to get the specs of the format and I'll see what I can do!

-Stephane
Oct 27, 2013 at 2:28 AM
How has the progress here come along? How can I help development? I'll try building from source later this week and start tweaking the code myself if nothing else. I'm in the same boat as Matt.

I also made a gallery which shows how different settings in VR Player look. Also I include a sample image you can download and use for testing purposes.

I just want to say; well done. Even with these issues we're seeing, this is still one of the coolest experiences I've had with the Oculus Rift. We already have a huge library of productions that used to be limited to a very small scale environment, that VR Player will be opening up to a larger audience. If the VR Player community keeps growing and generating content; this will be huge! Very cool Stephane.

Also I would be happy to throw in some beer money to help this work its way up your TODO list, just send me a message with details.
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2013 at 4:08 AM
Hi RogueVogon,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I created a new plugin type called "Full Dome" for these type of projection. It will be available in the next release.
In the meanwhile, you can send me your email in private message for a preview version. Also, if you already have a lot of full dome content, please feel free to share video/samples to vrplayer.tv!

Best regards,,

-Stephane