This project is read-only.

.NET initialization error

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:30 AM
I hesitate to post this as an issue until I've analyzed it a but more, but 45min of googling and testing has given nothing so far. I have a recently installed Windows 7 Pro (64bit, fully updated) that I installed VR Player 0.4.1 alpha on.

Upon trying to start it I only get a request popup saying:

"VrPlayer.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error
To run this application, you must first install one of the following versions of
the .NET Framework:
v2.0
.NETFramework, Version=v4.0

Would you like to download and install version v2.0 of the .NET Framework now"

Windows 7 comes with .NET, so trying to install either 2.0 or 4.0 just gets me a "already installed". If I run the netfx_setupverifier it tells me both 2.0 and 4.0 are working fine.

So I'm lost. Any ideas?
Sep 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Spent another hour on this. Made the .NET 4 Client Profile verify it's own installation, installed a few .NET games from Steam. They all came up working fine, but VR Player still refuses to start.
Sep 26, 2013 at 6:09 PM
So I got it to work as a side-effect of debugging it. I installed VSE 2012 (which installed .NET 4.5), pulled the project from git and made it compile. That worked and started up my newly built VR Player without problems.

Suspecting that the 4.5 installation might change things I reinstalled the VR Player package, and now it runs.

So... there is that.
Sep 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Hello valgrind,

Thank you for taking the time to report the issue and troubleshooting it!
I am not sure but maybe the problem is related to the version of .net: full vs client profile.
In .net 4.5, the client profile version has been discontinued so there is only a full version available.
It's possible that prior the update, you had the client profile only installed..

In anycase, I'm glad that you managed to compile the app and make it work.
I hope you like it and if you have other questions/comments, do not hesitate!

--Stephane
Sep 27, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Hi Stephane,

Interesting. This is the first time I've used C# besides running games (C guy), so I wasn't even aware there was a distinction between full and client when you aren't compiling. I will have to do some reading on this.

Cheers!